- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs & 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees
- Place six ovenproof cups in a deep pan just large enough to hold them
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer over medium to low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, the yolks, the sugar, and the vanilla.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the simmering milk, whisking gently to combine.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer into the cups then sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Pour hot (not boiling) water into the deep pan holding the cups until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Bake until the custard is set, it can be a little loose (30 – 35 minutes)
- Let it cool in water bath for about 2 hours before serving.